Saturday February 22, 2014
(click to enlarge)
Failure of the US policy of regime change in Syria is leding once again to the contemplation of "options." One of those that is much discussed is that of a no-fly zone covering all of Syria. Let's be clear as to what would be involved in that option:
- All Syrian ground based air defense would have to be suppressed and kept suppressed.
- All Syrian airfields would have to be wrecked with runways cratered, maintenance facilities destroyed, etc.
- All Syrian Air Force aircraft would have to be destroyed in air to air combat or on the ground.
- Search Air Rescue operations would have to be carried out wherever in Syria we lost aircraft.
- Aviators might be captured. Their possession would be a strong element of leverage in the hands of the Syrian government.